Please ensure you meet the following (applicable) admission requirements before applying for graduate studies at UBC Engineering:
Students with a Bachelor's Degree from a Canadian or American Institution
Applicants must hold a credential deemed academically equivalent to a four-year bachelor's degree from UBC in engineering or a related discipline with one of the following:
- A minimum overall average in the B+ range (76% at UBC) in third- and fourth-year level courses.
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year level courses in the A grade range (80% or higher at UBC) in the field of study.
- Alternatively, applicants who do not meet the requirements stated above, but who have had significant formal training and relevant professional experience, and/or otherwise possess demonstrable knowledge or expertise that would prepare them adequately for successful study in a specific graduate program, may be granted admission on the recommendation of the appropriate graduate program and approval of the administering Faculty.
Students with a Bachelor's Degree from an International Institution
Applicants must hold a credential deemed academically equivalent to a four-year bachelor's degree from UBC in engineering or a related discipline. View the specific minimum admission requirements established by the University for graduates of different countries. These are the minimum requirements for admission to the University. Individual graduate programs may have additional admission requirements.
Admission Requirements Specific to the MEng
For the MEng in Clean Energy Engineering, applicants must have taken at least 3 credits (UBC-equivalency) of thermodynamics at the second- or third-year level.
For all specializations relevant professional experience is considered an asset.
Applicants for the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree must have completed one of the following requirements prior to admission:
- A master's degree (or equivalent) from an approved institution with clear evidence of research ability or potential.
- A bachelor's degree with one year of study in a master's program with 12 credits of first class average, of which 9 credits must be at the 500-level or above and at least 9 credits must be of first class standing. There must also be clear evidence of research ability or potential.
- In exceptional cases, applicants who hold a bachelor's degree with an overall average in the A grade range and who demonstrate advanced research ability may be granted direct admission to a doctoral degree program on recommendation of the admitting graduate program and approval of the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Students entering directly from a bachelor's degree must, during the first year of study, complete 12 credits with a first class average, of which at least 9 credits must be at the 500-level or above and at least 9 credits must be of first class standing, to maintain registration as a doctoral student.
Students with Credentials from International Institutions
Applications for admission to doctoral programs in the Faculty of Graduate Studies are welcomed and encouraged from students who hold a credential deemed comparable to a Canadian master's degree and who demonstrate superior academic standing. View the specific minimum admission requirements established by the University for graduates of different countries. These are minimum requirements; specific programs may have higher requirements.
An applicant whose degree was conferred at a university outside Canada, unless given an exemption (e.g. United States, United Kingdom, Australia and other identified countries), must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language prior to being extended an offer of admission. Test scores must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of the application. An official confirmation of the test scores is required for the application. Photocopies of test scores are not acceptable.
Conditional Language Admission - MEng
An applicant who has not submitted an English language test score that meets the minimum requirement for the chosen Graduate Program, but is otherwise eligible for admission to the MEng program, may be offered a conditional admission. Such an applicant must achieve at least the minimum English test score specified in the conditional admission letter and an official confirmation of the score must be received by the MEng Program Office at least two months before the program start date. Otherwise, the offer of admission becomes null and void.
Conditional Admission Program - MASc , PhD
The Faculty of Graduate Studies may extend a conditional offer of admission to a highly-qualified graduate applicant who does not quite meet the minimum English language proficiency requirement set by the graduate program to which the student has applied. A conditional admission allows a student to obtain a study permit (if necessary) and begin their studies in the UBC English Language Institute (ELI) or an equivalent institution approved by the Provost. Upon successful completion of the prescribed terms of study in the ELI Intensive Academic English Program (or pre-approved, equivalent alternative), the student will proceed directly into the graduate degree program. For more information and eligibility requirements, view the Faculty of Graduate Studies' Conditional Admission Program page.
English Proficiency Tests
|Chemical & Biological||90|
|Electrical & Computer||100|
|Mechanical, Mechatronics Design||93||4.0||4.0|
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- use the University of British Columbia's institution code 0965; and the appropriate department codes: Chemical & Biological 64, Civil 65, Electrical & Computer 66, Mechanical 68, Other 69 (for Biomedical, Clean Energy, Geological, Materials, Mining)
- give the reason for taking TOEFL "to enter a college or university as a graduate student"
GRE and GMT Test Scores
Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
|Academic (not General)|
|Chemical & Biological||not required||6.5||6.0||81|
|Clean Energy||not required||7.0||6.5||81|
|Electrical & Computer||not required||7.0||6.5||88|
|Mechanical, Mechatronics Design||recommended||6.5||6.0||81|
Check for any additional admission requirements that may apply to individual specializations.
|Specialization||Additional Requirements||Refer to|
|Biomedical||Specific instructions for MASc/PhD in CHBE/EECE/MTRL/MECH applicants
"Recommendation for Admission to the BME Program" form
|Chemical & Biological||none|
|Civil||Preliminary Application in the period before the application form is available||additional requirements|
|Clean Energy||Second-year level thermodynamics course||additional requirements|
|Electrical & Computer||In application form select group and list prospective supervisors||additional requirements|
|Materials||Email potential supervisors, list them||additional requirements|
|Mechanical||Different deadlines for master's programs depending on NSERC eligibility||additional requirements|
|Mining||Email potential supervisors, list them||additional requirements|