Volunteer as a mentor with the UBC Engineering Mentoring Programs - share your knowledge and experience with students who are defining their career path, expanding their professional network and developing important professional skills.
As a mentor, you will have the opportunity to support undergraduate and graduate Engineering students.
With the Upper Year Engineering Mentoring Program, you will be matched with two undergraduate students in their second year (or higher) and/or a Masters of Engineering student and with the Graduate Engineering Mentoring Program, you will be matched with a MASc student as well as a PhD student.
For both programs you will be matched with students whose discipline or interests are similar to your own. You will attend networking events where you will have the opportunity to connect with students and industry professionals. You will also meet with your students several times over the course of the academic year.
We also have the First Year Engineering Mentoring Program that introduces first year students to different engineering disciplines and professional development skill building. Mentors are only required to attend the Networking and Discipline Exploration Night.
Many of our mentors tell us that they get as much out of the mentoring program as their mentees! You will benefit from the opportunity to give back to the profession by offering insight to a young person starting out in your field while strengthening your own coaching and leadership skills. The program events also offer opportunities for you to network with some of your industry peers in an informal setting.
As a mentor, you will:
- Connect with the vibrant and dynamic engineering community at UBC and be inspired by the enthusiasm of prospective engineers
- Share your career experiences and lessons with two students
- Increase your understanding of the mentoring process and what it takes to be an effective mentor
- Expand your network by meeting other industry professionals involved in the mentoring program
Mentoring is considered a Continuing Professional Development activity and as such is encouraged and recognized by Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia.
What’s Expected of You
- Attend two program-wide events — Kick Off & Closing Event
- Attend an Industry Event or Site Tour with your group between December and March
- Meet with your mentee(s) at least three times over the course of the academic year (October— April)
- Be available by phone and email to your mentees
- Develop learning objectives with your student mentee(s) and review them periodically
- Kick Off Event: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:00-8:00 PM
- Networking and Discipline Exploration Night: Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:00-8:00 PM
- Closing Event: Tuesday, March 5, 2019 6:00-8:00 PM
Registration for the 2018/2019 Engineering Mentoring Programs are now closed and will re-open in September 2019. Thank you for your interest.
For more information on the undergraduate Engineering Mentoring Programs, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the Graduate Engineering Mentoring Program, please email: email@example.com