The Engineering Mentoring Program matches a junior undergraduate student with a senior undergraduate or graduate student (according to related discipline or interests) and an engineer from industry or academia.
This program helps students network with industry and gain valuable professional skills such as interviewing and professional communication skills while expanding their knowledge about the engineering professions.
· Reconnect with UBC; be inspired by the enthusiasm of aspiring engineers
· Share your experiences, lessons & future goals
· Increase your understanding of the mentoring process and what it takes to be an effective mentor
· Enhance your coaching skills
Mentoring is considered a Continuing Professional Development activity and as such is encouraged and recognized by APEGBC.
What’s expected of you
· Attend two program-wide events—Kick Off & Closing Event
· Attend an Industry Event or Site Tour with your group between December and March
· Meet with your mentee(s) at least three times over the course of the academic year (Sept. – April)
· Be available by phone and email to your mentees
· Develop learning objectives with your student mentee(s) and review them periodically
Important Dates 2016-2017
September 23, 2016: Applications Due
October 18, 2016: Mentoring Kick-Off Event
March 28, 2017: Mentoring Closing Event
If you’re interested in being a mentor, we’d love to hear from you.
Applications for the 2017-2018 academic year will open in summer 2017.
If you have any questions about mentoring and the Engineering Mentoring Program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.