Volunteer as a mentor with the UBC Faculty of Applied Science Engineering Mentoring Program and share your knowledge and experience with students who are defining their career path, expanding their professional network and developing important professional skills.
As a mentor, you will be matched with two students in the second year (or higher) of their studies in a discipline or interest similar to your own. You will attend networking events where you will have the opportunity to connect with students and industry professionals. You will meet with your students several times over the course of the academic year.
Many of our mentors tell us that they get as much out of the mentoring program as their mentees! You will benefit from the opportunity to give back to the profession by offering insight to a young person starting out in your field while strengthening your own coaching and leadership skills. The program events also offer opportunities for you to network with some of your industry peers in an informal setting.
As a mentor, you will:
- Connect with the vibrant and dynamic engineering community at UBC and be inspired by the enthusiasm of prospective engineers
- Share your career experiences and lessons with two students
- Increase your understanding of the mentoring process and what it takes to be an effective mentor Expand your network by meeting other industry professionals involved in the mentoring program
Mentoring is considered a Continuing Professional Development activity and as such is encouraged and recognized by APEGBC.
What’s Expected of You
- Attend two program-wide events — Kick Off & Closing Event
- Attend an Industry Event or Site Tour with your group between December and March
- Meet with your mentee(s) at least three times over the course of the academic year (September — April)
- Be available by phone and email to your mentees
- Develop learning objectives with your student mentee(s) and review them periodically
- Kick Off Event: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 6:00-8:00 PM
- Closing Event: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:00-8:00 PM
Registration for the 2017/2018 Engineering Mentoring Programs are now closed and will re-open in September 2018. Thank you for your interest.