For an informative event, professors from the University of British Columbia's Civil Engineering Department, along with faculty from other leading universities, will share their findings from a recent research expedition to Türkiye.
This event serves as a unique platform to not only unravel the complexities of earthquakes but also to advocate for enhanced earthquake preparedness and safety measures in Canada.
Date: Friday, October 13, 2023
Time: 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm PT
- In-person - UBC Robson Square
- Online - a link will be sent to registered delegates and members of the media
Relevant and suitable for:
- Engineers, planners, mid-senior-to-senior level executives and leaders in engineering firms and government, and mainstream and trade media
- Students and researchers interested in earthquake studies and civil engineering.
- Professionals in the fields of urban planning, disaster management, and infrastructure development.
- Community members are concerned about earthquake preparedness and safety.
For media inquiries or media Q&A information, please email UBC Media Relations
Title of Presentations
1:05 – 1:20 pm
1:20 – 1:40 pm
Seismology and Geotechnical Effects
1:40 – 2:00 pm
Building Codes and Construction Practices
2:00 – 2:20 pm
2:20 – 2:40 pm
Performance of Residential Buildings
2:40 – 3:00 pm
Performance of Schools
3:00 – 3:20 pm
Performance of Health Care Facilities
3:20 – 3:40 pm
3:40 – 4:20 pm
Preparedness, Response, and Recovery
4:20 – 4:30 pm
4:30 – 5:00 pm