MEL & MASc Minimum Requirements
Applicants that holds an academically equivalent bachelor's degree from a Canadian or American institution to a four-year bachelor's degree from UBC in engineering or a related discipline must have one of the following:
- A minimum overall average in the B+ range (76% at UBC) in third- and fourth-year level courses.
- Academic standing with at least 12 credits of third- or fourth-year level courses in the A grade range (80% or higher at UBC) in the field of study.
- Alternatively, applicants who do not meet the requirements stated above, but who have had significant formal training and relevant professional experience, and/or otherwise possess demonstrable knowledge or expertise that would prepare them adequately for successful study in a specific graduate program, may be granted admission on the recommendation of the appropriate graduate program and approval of the administering Faculty.
Applicants must hold a credential deemed academically equivalent to a four-year bachelor's degree from UBC in engineering or a related discipline. View the specific minimum admission requirements established by the University for graduates of different countries. These are the minimum requirements for admission to the University. Individual graduate programs may have additional admission requirements.
Applicants are required to have:
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience to the pillar they are applying for. Please refer to the UBC Academic Calendar for further information.
- For the MEL in Clean Energy Engineering, applicants must have taken at least 3 credits (UBC-equivalency) of thermodynamics at the second- or third-year level.
- Relevant professional experience is considered an asset.
PhD minimum requirements
Applicants for the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree must have completed one of the following requirements prior to admission:
- A master's degree (or equivalent) from an approved institution with clear evidence of research ability or potential.
- A bachelor's degree with one year of study in a master's program with 12 credits of first class average, of which 9 credits must be at the 500-level or above and at least 9 credits must be of first class standing. There must also be clear evidence of research ability or potential.
- In exceptional cases, applicants who hold a bachelor's degree with an overall average in the A grade range and who demonstrate advanced research ability may be granted direct admission to a doctoral degree program on recommendation of the admitting graduate program and approval of the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Students entering directly from a bachelor's degree must, during the first year of study, complete 12 credits with a first class average, of which at least 9 credits must be at the 500-level or above and at least 9 credits must be of first class standing, to maintain registration as a doctoral student.
Applications for admission to doctoral programs in the Faculty of Graduate Studies are welcomed and encouraged from students who hold a credential deemed comparable to a Canadian master's degree and who demonstrate superior academic standing. View the specific minimum admission requirements established by the University for graduates of different countries. These are minimum requirements; specific programs may have higher requirements.
Engineering Graduate Programs
An applicant whose degree was conferred at a university outside Canada, unless given an exemption (e.g. United States, United Kingdom, Australia and other identified countries), must present evidence of competency to pursue studies in the English language prior to being extended an offer of admission. Test scores must have been taken within the last 24 months at the time of submission of the application. An official confirmation of the test scores is required for the application.
Accepted tests are TOEFL, IELTS and MELAB, check each area website for required minimums. For TOEFL, use the University of British Columbia's institution code 0965; and the appropriate department codes: for example, Chemical & Biological 64.
Applicants to the MEng specializations must meet the minimum required by the area. Conditional admission for language proficiency is not offered.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies may extend a conditional offer of admission to a highly-qualified graduate applicant who does not quite meet the minimum English language proficiency requirement set by the graduate program to which the student has applied. For more information and eligibility requirements, view the Faculty of Graduate Studies' Conditional Admission Program page. Not all areas will permit this type of admission.
|Biomedical||Specific instructions for MASc/PhD in CHBE/EECE/MTRL/MECH applicants
"Recommendation for Admission to the BME Program" form
|Chemical & Biological||None|
|Civil||Applicants must select one interest area|
|Clean Energy||Second- or third-year level thermodynamics course|
|Electrical & Computer||In application form select group and list prospective supervisors|
|Materials||Email potential supervisors, list them|
|Mechanical||Different deadlines for master's programs depending on NSERC eligibility|
|Mining||Email potential supervisors, list them|