The Faculty of Applied Science accepts transfer students from other post-secondary institutions and from other UBC Faculties.
- New to UBC students: Apply for admission through UBC's Admissions Office - How to Apply
- Current UBC students: Log in to your SSC account and select Change of Degree Program / Campus under Registration.
Students are evaluated based their most recent 30 credits of university-transferable courses and the additional chemistry, mathematics and physics requirements for admission.
To be eligible for second-year, you need at least 27 university transferable credits that count towards our first-year engineering program by the end of April*. Students that do not meet this criterion will be considered for a modified first-year program.
- Summer courses in term 1 (by end of June) are not guaranteed to apply to the 27 credits required for second-year placement and will be subject to space in the program
- Summer courses in term 2 will not be considered for second-year placement.
Find out if your credits will transfer from another BC post-secondary institution by using the BC Transfer Guide.
Course equivalency for a UBC Science transfer
|UBC equivalent courses||Credits||UBC Engineering First Year courses **||Credits|
|No equivalent. Complete course once admitted to UBC Engineering.||-||APSC 100 *||3|
|No equivalent. Complete course once admitted to UBC Engineering.||-||APSC 101 *||3|
Note: Non-engineering students only eligible to take in Summer Session, space permitting, if intending to transfer.
|CHEM 111 (4) and CHEM 113 (4) or;
CHEM 111 (4) and CHEM 123 (4) or;
CHEM 121 (4) and CHEM 123 (4)
|ENGL 100-level (usually ENGL 112 or WRDS 150)||3||ENGL112||3|
|MATH 100||3||MATH 100||3|
|MATH 101||3||MATH 101 ***||3|
|MATH 221||3||MATH 152 ***||3|
|PHYS 117 (3), PHYS 118 (3), and PHYS 119 (1) or;
PHYS 107 (3), PHYS 108 (3), and PHYS 109 (1) or;
PHYS 101 (3) and PHYS 102 (3)
|6 or 7||PHYS 157, PHYS 158 and PHYS 159 (formerly PHYS 153) ***||7|
|PHYS 170||3||PHYS 170 ***||3|
|Humanities and Social Sciences Elective||3||Humanities and Social Sciences Elective||3|
|Total credit||35 or 36||37|
* If you have the equivalent of APSC 150, you will not be required to take APSC 100 and APSC 101. If you have the equivalent of APSC 151 AND one of CHEM 111+113 OR CHEM 111+123 OR CHEM 121+123, you will not be required to take APSC 100, APSC 101 and CHEM154.
** If you completed the FULL "Engineering Transfer Program" at one of our 8 partner BC Universities or Colleges, you will have typically met the full First Year UBC Engineering program.
*** If you are considering Mechanical Engineering at the Vancouver campus, please visit the Mechanical Engineering website for required pre-requisites. In most cases, students missing prerequisite courses will not be allowed to commence Mech 2 until they have completed all their first year courses.